Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hendersonville, NC Apple Festival




Friday, a wonderful friend of mine and biking partner, Mikie, and I went to Hendersonville, NC for their annual Apple Festival and saw all things apples.




The drive up there, which is only about 45 minutes was fabulous, we had a great trip. Hendersonville, NC is a short distance south of Asheville, NC and we are planning to drive up there, probably in October, to see the beauty of the changing leaves.




To get to Historic Hendersonville, we drove through Flat Rock, NC. Many know of this quaint village through Carl Sandburg, the famous poet. I’ve been to Mr. Sandburg’s home and, to say it’s beautiful and peaceful, is an understatement. But it is. Mrs. Sandburg raised goats on the premises, some quite exotic. Roaming around the farm is free and pet friendly, and for a small price, may go on a tour of the house. Looking forward to doing that again.




First thing we did upon arriving at the festival was to eat a sweet “festival” food (I had a very messy funnel cake w/powdered sugar; Mikie had an apple benet). I do believe the festival gets larger and larger every year. I believe my favorite vendor was a man who made beautifully huge birdhouses and sold all for just a mere $25.00. Note to Self: Take pictures from now on! I have misplaced my battery charger and card to my camera, am so sick. So much easier to download pictures from a camera than from the smart phone.




Each year, Hendersonville has these bear statues that various businesses (I think) decorate and will be auctioned off in October. See our “bearfootin’” bears, as Mikie called it?


This is a picture of me with a “Momma Bear holding her Baby”. I appear to be modeling my purse instead of snuggling up to the bears. I was not pleased how my curly hair turned out for this event, but, when it’s natural, sometimes we have no choice in the matter.




Mikie and I had delicious lunches at an Irish Pub, I’m half Irish and thought that would be a great choice. She had fish and chips and I ordered a corn beef sandwich with baked chips, which I really didn’t like, they were kinda hard to eat. I ate half of my sandwich and took the other half home.



We looked around in a couple antique shops and an amazing thrift store. Mikie bought a beautiful large glass purple plate for $4.00 to use as a bird bath; I bought one of those old slag hanging lights for a mere $10.00, very happy with my purchase. Did I ever mention that I have a light/lamp fetish? I try not to let people know when I purchase another one as I will always hear “Where are you going to put that one?”



On our way back home, we stopped at the Wrinkled Egg, a unique shop/café in Flat Rock. Mikie found a coral-colored pair of slacks, half-price, to replace a pair that became ruined in the wash. She was one happy shopper.



It was a beautiful day for festivaling in an historic community. We will need to return to spend more time checking out the sights while no events are happening.



 

As I am journeying through a new phase in my life, I hope you are enjoying tagging along. Retirement is all I had hoped it would be and even more.

If you are not retired, please feel free to pretend and journey with me.



Blessings,



Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment