Monday, September 8, 2014

What's Your Choice - Pay Now or Pay Later?


September 7, 2014





Saturday, I went bicycling with a great friend. There is a bicycle shop in town catering to women, Pedal Chic. Each Saturday morning, they have two groups to ride, I join the easy group that travels along the “Swamp Rabbit Trail”, you can Google it and see what a fabulous “rails to trails” route it is.




Anyhow, my friend, Janie, and I met the “trail” group to ride to Furman College and back. I told them Janie and I would be leaving the group to continue on further. Another lady opted to continue on with us. We rode to the lake at the college, around the lake then back. We stopped at the Swamp Rabbit CafĂ© and Grocery. This is a fabulous little place and a great stopping off for a break (you can google this establishment, too).



Anyhow, Janie, our new friend, Carolyn, and I continued biking along the trail beyond Cleveland Park to Pleasantburg Street (way too many steep hills to tackle after already a lengthy ride!). It was a HARD but fun 22 miles, looking forward to riding again.



All this to say, at 66, almost 67 years, with all I’m going through with my mother and brother both diagnosed with lung cancer and my father passing away in his late 30‘s with a massive coronary, I am researching how to live a healthier lifestyle in my retired years. A month ago, I had my annual health check-up. I expressed concern over a spot on my esophagus that turned out to be due to a prescription drug I am taking for osteoporosis. My doctor called for a procedure with a tube to be sure this was not a life-threatening situation (it was just an inflammation). I have also, with my doctor’s approval, discontinued that medication. Now I am taking a prescription for that inflammation and will eventually wean myself off that. Therefore, I have researched information on foods with calcium that vegans can rely on. Did you know two table spoons of blackstrap molasses has 400 mg of calcium and women over 51 need 1,200 mg? Me neither! Exercise, bike riding, and healthy eating are my new prescriptions.



On another note, my baby brother, Bill, had to go to the ER Friday night for chest pain. If you remember, the week before, my mother went to the ER for chest pain and was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. Bill, who also was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer a month ago, was in the same room in the ER as Mom and was attended to by the same doctor. When Mom was there, we told the doctor, after he gave us the devastating news, that we had a brother with the same diagnosis. Bill told the doctor that he was the brother we mentioned. Both have strong hearts, the pain they are experiencing is from the tumors growing.



Mom is further along with this disease, my sister feels she will be with us only another two weeks, at most. Tomorrow, we have an appointment with her doctor to discuss her prognosis.



This is very difficult, but, I have released her to the Lord, His will is my will. The beginning of my retirement is quite difficult, but I know my Lord and Savior is hold me up at the times I am not able to stand. I hope you know this man named Jesus, He will be there for you and beside you at all times, even when you don’t feel Him. It feels so good to be in church whenever possible.



 

 

Blessings,



Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment